Dong-A University, based upon the humanitarian idea of "Devotion to the Welfare of Mankind," and in accordance with the educational spirit of the Republic of Korea, was founded to teach and study profound academic theories and methods of their precise and broad application as are needed to develop human culture and to train men of ability with leadership enough to promote the prosperity of their community by building their characters befitting the democratic world citizens with a thorough patriotic spirit.
Dong-A University has established the concrete educational policies to realize the founding ideas of the university as follows :
1. To help students develop and cherish mental and physical soundness, and an indefatigable spirit with acquirement of practical and academic knowledge.
2. To cultivate in them a spirit of national independence, self-esteem, and international cooperation.
3. To emphasize their spirit of practical philosophy and diligence, and to aid them in accepting responsibility for their deeds and developing a sense of public morality.
4. To help them contribute to the cultural development of mankind by promoting and revitalizing the cultural traditions unique to Korea, and by renovating science and technology.
5. To help them lead a happy life through the enjoyment of lofty art works, nature's beauty and their own pastimes.
Dong-A University adopts "Freedom, Truth, and Justice" as its precepts, which signify that the students are expected to search for profound truth while they are pursuing their studies at the University in the university, the place of free intellectual inquiry and to take the initiative in the realization of justice a just society.